Books I have read and recommend.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

AB Miniatures Italians: Painted with ARMY PAINTER


Above: The Grenadier Company and the Regimental Artillery.
Hi All
I thought I would add some extra units to my Lasalle French Army. I decided Italians would be a nice addition, but only had enough for three bases, (not the 4 that you need to create a Battalion as per the LASALLE rules).
Solution!
I had a 4pdr gun so knocked up a "Regimental" Artillery base.
I painted them using ARMY PAINTER Strong Shade Dip.
Basicaly you just paint in the base colors (or "Block" colours), and then dip, (or "splash on" as I did) the "Shade".
I'm rather impressed with the results, as white can be a real bugger to paint.

ABOVE and BELOW: The left flank companys, Fusiliers and Voltigeurs. (I'm not sure of Italian names for these companys)

BELOW: Grenadiers, Fusiliers and Regimental Artillery.
Unfortunatly in their first game they formed square when threatened by some British "Heavies". The Brit Dragoons had a crack at them all the same and rode right over the top of them; ("Mamma Mia Luigi; did you get the number of that Bus"?!),..
Better luck next time lads!
Feel free to leave a comment..

7 comments:

Sentient Bean said...

Nice one! Great effect on the white.

Trailape said...

Hi SB
I was surprised how good the dip worked on the white. Next project will be Austrians!
;o)

Peeler said...

That dip gives a good finish, nice to see, look forward to all that Austrian white!
Regards,

Giles said...

Those look very good - I reckon the dip is the future for 15/18mm figures.

Best wishes

Giles

Trailape said...

The Dip is VERY good indeed. It works well on White uniforms, but I also have used it on a 18mm French Curassier General, and Italian Guards Du Honour and Bavarian Guard Du Korps.
I thgink it will be very good to use on troops in Campaign Dress and Greatcoats. I also have been using it on 28mm Figs, mainly Early German Barbarians, Trojan War types and Eureka Miniatures Revolutionary French Artillery.
I'll post pictures soon.

Doc Smith said...

Nice job Scott - that's the 'strong' shade? (i.e. the middle one?) I'm pleased with the results I got on my cuirassier but was wondering how it would be on my Victrix Italians - now I've seen yours I'm inspired to give it a go! Thanks!

Cheers,
Doc

Trailape said...

Hi Doc
Yep, I used the "Strong" (middle) shade.
Cheers